Dear Challenge Participants,
We’ve advised you on how to make better food choices. We’ve given you food for thought, literally, when providing you with snack suggestions. We’ve given you tips for surviving special occasions and we’re going to keep cranking out additional help to ensure you achieve that goal weight you’ve set your heart on. If you have never set a goal weight, we’ve got a few tips to keep in mind before you decide:
- Make sure it is appropriate for the way you live now, not when you were in college or got married.
- The number listed for someone your height on a standard weight and height chart is just an approximation of what your healthy weight should be. Don’t let this one number be the way you determine if you’ve succeeded or failed.
- If you set a weight-loss goal that’s too low for you to maintain, you’ll get caught in the trap of yo-yo dieting — losing weight, gaining it back, and trying to lose it again. The best weight goal is one you can live with.
Once you’ve decided on your goal weight, here are some helpful steps to toward achieving it:
5 STEPS TO A REALISTIC GOAL
1. Make your resolutions public
Share them with one or more people so they can help you stay on track. If you let your friends and family in on your dream, you can use their support to help you make it a reality.
2. Write down your resolutions
But don’t stop there: Also include the steps you will take to keep it. According to Laura Hess, a Nevada-based personal and business coach, having a clearly articulated goal and a plan of action is vital for success.
3. Keep things simple
Break a big goal into a series of smaller goals. Want to lose 50 pounds? Shoot for losing 5 percent of your body weight first, or set five 10-pound incremental weight-loss goals.
4. Mark your achievements
Each time you make a small lifestyle change aimed at reaching your goal — adding five minutes to your daily walk, for instance — put a star on your calendar so you can see your progress.
5. Make small changes
If weight loss or a healthier lifestyle is your goal, put a bowl of fruit or vegetable pieces front and center in the fridge, and hide the cookie jar behind the oatmeal. Each week, try a new low-fat cereal or an exotic fruit or a vegetable you haven’t tasted before. Stash away your car keys for a weekend and challenge yourself to walk wherever you need to go. Lose the deep-fat fryer, too, and steam, bake or microwave your food.
We want to help you keep your resolutions. Join the LIMU LEAN Support Calls every Wednesday at 7:30pm EST because we’ll be giving you more tips and food for thought. Keep up the great work and use these tips that will help you dominate your weight loss goals! The Challenge ends in 17 DAYS! Make sure you stick to the plan, keep your goal in mind and the LEANer you in sight!