They might get all the attention, but Thanksgiving and Christmas aren’t the only holidays that can derail a diet. Just when you think you’re winning your resolution to eat healthier or lose weight, along comes Valentine’s Day. You and your sweetheart treat yourselves to wine, chocolate and rich, extravagant meals. Suddenly, those seven weeks of progress are wiped away, and so is your enthusiasm for sticking to your resolution.
The good news is that it doesn’t have to be that way. There IS a way for you and your partner to enjoy all the delicious indulgences of Valentine’s Day without wrecking your resolutions — and it all starts with LIMU. These three recipes make healthy treats to share with your love bug, but they’re also great centerpieces for turning your next LIMU party into a Valentine’s-themed celebration of great health.
1. LIMU LEAN Chocolate Truffles
Right along with flowers, there’s no more timeless Valentine’s Day gift than a box of chocolates, and putting the time into making homemade truffles is going to score a lot more points than picking up a box of waxy, generic chocolates at the grocery store. But making a version that’s actually really good for you? Your honey’s heart will soar.
Filling ingredients (makes about 8 truffles)
- 1/4 cup, LIMU LEAN Dutch Chocolate
- 2 tbsp., coconut flour
- 1 heaping tbsp., peanut, almond, cashew or hazelnut butter
- 1/8 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup coconut or almond milk
3–4 squares of 85% dark chocolate
Suggested: vanilla, coffee, rum, orange, coconut or hazelnut extracts
Topping ingredients (optional)
Suggested: chopped nuts, chocolate flakes or coconut flakes
- Mix all the filling ingredients in a large bowl. Once you achieve a firm, yet pliable texture, shape the batter into eight truffles and set them aside. Remember that if your batter is too sticky to shape, you should add a bit more cocoa powder. If it’s too dry or crumbly, add a bit more milk. Depending on which flavors you want to achieve, you can add three to four drops of extract to each ball and gently knead it in.
- Melt your dark chocolate by heating it in the microwave at 50% power, or find a glass bowl that can rest comfortably a few inches above a pot of boiling water.
- When your dark chocolate has melted, dunk the truffles in them and transfer them to a plate or chopping board that’s covered in foil or baking paper. This will help prevent the balls from sticking when you mold them.
- Finally, add a sprinkling of your preferred topping. Refrigerate for a couple of hours and they’ll be ready to serve!
4 g fat
4 g carbs
4 g protein
2. Raspberry Lime BLU FROG Mocktail
The toast: A celebrated Valentine’s tradition, but have you seen the calories in red wine? With this simple mocktail recipe using BLU FROG, you can raise a glass to one another and feel great doing it.
- 2 fl. oz., BLU FROG or BLU FROG 2
- 4 fl. oz., lemon lime seltzer
- 1 tsp., grenadine
- ¼ lime, squeezed
- 2–3 raspberries to garnish
Fill a glass with ice cubes. Add the BLU FROG, followed by the seltzer. Top with grenadine and stir gently. Squeeze a lime wedge, add a few raspberries and enjoy!
0 g fat
8 g carbs
3. LIMU ORIGINAL Jello Shots
Here’s one fun treat that’s always best shared. They’re like a regular jello shot, but way classier — and healthier! Enjoy these as an after-dinner treat, or share them at a party as a fun way to introduce the awesomeness of LIMU Original to your guests.
Ingredients (makes about 15 shots)
- 1 3 oz. package, instant lemon jello
- ½ cup, LIMU Original (cold)
- 1 ½ cup, cold water
- 1 cup, boiling water
- Plastic mini cups
- Sliced strawberries (optional)
- Add Jello powder to 1 cup of boiling water. Stir until dissolved.
- Add in cold water and LIMU Original. Stir gently.
- Transfer to a pitcher and pour into mini cups.
- Add two strawberry slices to each (two hearts, get it?) if you prefer.
- Refrigerate until firm.
0 g fat
1.3 g carbs
Note: You may have heard not to heat LIMU Original, but the portions in this recipe will ensure that it does not go above the 190° F threshold. Happy Valentine’s Day!