Founded in 1980, Halifax Urban Ministries is a nonprofit, faith-based ministry focused on homeless prevention and intervention. HUM provides emergency food, clothing, rent and utility assistance to keep hard-working, poor and at-risk families from losing their homes. LIMU is the largest private donor to Halifax Urban Ministries and is also assisting them with marketing and strategic services on a pro bono basis.
From their earliest days living in Daytona Beach, Gary Raser and his family have supported efforts to help the homeless, particularly homeless families.Our LIMU support of the Halifax Urban Ministries organization is born of that care for those less fortunate, which HUM embraces in all of their services …
The Camp has helped literally thousands of children to enjoy the natural wilderness while also learning about God in a life-changing and faith-building setting. This is a picture perfect Camp location complete with a chapel, cabins for campers and staff, dining hall, fishing dock, lake for canoeing, swimming pool, baseball field, covered shelter and campfire ring. And thanks to LIMU and the Raser family, much more comfortable than in its early years …
- Founded in 1980 by the faith community of the greater Halifax area, HUM focuses on homeless prevention and intervention, helping to keep hard-working, poor and at-risk families from losing their homes.
- HUM is recognized within the community as a consistent provider of emergency services to families in need. These services … such as rent assistance, emergency utility payments, food assistance, temporary housing and “return home” travel assistance … are aimed at keeping those at risk out of the homeless community.
- HUM employs dependable homeless clients to work in their 5 locations serving Volusia and Flagler counties. LIMU loves that they believe in the people they serve.
- “Feed-A-Family-Bags”, which contain a balanced menu source of food to feed a family of four for five meals, can provide the financial bridge to carry a family from one paycheck to the next. HUM distributes tens of thousands of bags every year.
- From a humble beginning in the 1980′s when one meal per week was served to about 50 guests, the HUM “Bridge Of Hope” hot meal program now serves over 145,000 hot meals every year. Over 400 homeless people are served each day at a total raw cost of approximately $.15 per meal.
- The STAR Family Shelter, acquired by HUM early in 2010, is the largest family homeless shelter in Volusia and Flagler counties. The STAR Shelter has gotten many families with children, along with people recovering from hospitalization, off the street, and has given them a greater chance to get settled.
Beyond our annual LIMU sponsorships and participation in HUM events, we also work closely with the organization to enhance its marketing efforts and hold a food drive to help stock its pantries. LIMU is committed to helping homeless families succeed, no matter where they are.
Celebrating the consistency and breadth of our support, Halifax Urban Ministries recently recognized LIMU with its first ever Corporate Social Responsibility Award. At the annual Blue Diamond Gala held by Halifax Urban Ministries, Justo Nunez accepted the Award on behalf of the worldwide LIMU Members who make the LIMU Gives charitable initiative possible.