The mission of Meals On Wheels is to enhance the quality of life for older persons in need, by providing nutritious meals and support services to seniors, enabling them to maintain their independence and dignity. LIMU is the annual Lead Sponsor of its March on Meals event, at which LIMU staff also participates in a local fundraising walk in Sanford, Florida.
One of our long-time charitable partners, the organization known as Meals on Wheels Etc.is aptly named, because it does more than one would ever guess.That’s why we at LIMU love to support their efforts, because they like to go far beyond what they expect they can do, just like our own LIMU Members! We have been a title sponsor of their annual March on Meals fundraiser in Sanford for years, and our staff marches right along with community volunteers to raise awareness and funds for their organization, for goodness sake.
Since 1973, the Meals on Wheels Etc. team has been building on its original mission of home delivered meals, with a goal of enhancing the quality of life for young and old alike. Yes, they provide delicious and nutritious meals, but they provide plenty of support services as well …
- Those meals are cooked in the MOW kitchens by staff and volunteers, almost 4000 meals every day including breakfasts, lunches and dinners. And volunteers deliver the meals throughout the county, taking meals to multiple clients every single weekday.
- Nutritious noontime meals are also offered at several outside Neighborhood Dining locations, where many MOW clients gather to share lunch, recreational activities, socialization and information.
- MOW provides van transportation to seniors on a daily basis, taking clients to medical appointments, shopping centers and Neighborhood Dining locations. These seniors have no other form of transportation available to them, so MOW helps keep them healthy and still connected to the greater community.
- Chores and home repairs are also part of the MOW suite of services. Whether cleaning up yards, painting, installing safety features or making minor repairs, MOW is there to help clients stay independent and safe in their later years. And MOW also helps take care of many basic homemaking tasks like laundry and cleaning.
- MOW works with the county and state to implement their Weatherization Assistance Program for MOW clients, helping people reduce high energy bills by making homes more energy efficient.
- Pets that seniors have aren’t forgotten either. MOW provides pet food to clients, so that they can maintain their animals without having to sacrifice their own nutrition.
- MOW also serves meals to disadvantaged children who might otherwise exist on poor nutrition due to social and economic factors. Working with the Second Harvest Food Bank, MOW provides breakfasts, lunches and snacks for kids through the Summer Lunch Program, the Toddler and Pre-School Program, and The Kid’s Café, an after school program.
Meals, meals and so much more … that’s what LIMU supports when it shares its blessings with Meals on Wheels Etc. and their wonderful employees and volunteers. We are thrilled that our ongoing partnership and sponsorship has helped the agency expand its services to serve more and more clients every year.